Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 1

After much anticipation for the past semester, I left my house at 3:30 am this morning to get to Charlotte Douglas Airport. I connected through Miami and ended up arriving to Guatemala City at 10:35 am (2 hours behind EST). Upon arriving in Guatemala City, I realized I was in for a rude awakening. Guatemala City is like nothing I have ever seen before. While the people look nice, the city is extremely run down, with security guards carrying rifles everywhere. Thanks to my Spanish school, I had a pickup service, and the family was very nice and helped me to order my ticket for the bus out of the city. Once I arrived on the bus, the ride seemed to be tranquil until a drunk boy (about my age) came and sat down next to me and tried to talk to me in Spanish. I didn't understand anything except when he said "te quiero" aka "I love you." Thankfully, 2 very nice older men (one who is an American) were able to get him kicked off of the bus for me.

Besides that, the ride was long (about 4 hours) and I've had a long day. It's just now hitting me that I'm so far away from home without knowing anyone, which is really hard right now. Hopefully it gets better.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Guatemala is super different...I've heard some crazy stories about buses there! I hope Xela is better and that you get settled in quickly! How long are you there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lot better!! I found some Duke Div students!! :) I'll be here for 61 more days... I'm going to post a happier post in a couple of hours :)

    ReplyDelete