Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Espero que pueda mostrarte el camino

Today was really an awesome day. While I'm still tired from the lake (I promise, I will do a post about that tonight), I finally realized what I want my project to be. For the past 5 weeks, I've been trying to come up with some type of research/ project to culminate (and maybe be continued in the future) my DukeEngage experience. Receiving DE funding is such a blessing, and I don't want to passively cruise through my experience.

At the clinic, I work as a children's health educator, which requires teaching talleres (lessons) to the children both in and out of the clinic. However, when the children come to the clinic, their parents (usually mothers) often come with them. Through the Healthy Schools program, we teach the children nutrition, hygiene and how to brush their teeth, and after they receive a free checkup and medicine (if needed) from the doctors. Today, while I was watching one of my coworkers teach the teeth-brushing section of the lesson, I began to look at the children's teeth and realized that many of them have not so great teeth :(  I think came to the realization that just teaching the children probably isn't the best way to go about implementing behavior change. It would be beneficial to teach the parents, who sit and talk to each other during the times the children have their lessons. I talked to my supervisor, and she agreed that it would be a good idea to think of some lesson plans for the mothers! This would be really awesome because it would engage the parents as well and try to implement behavior change from multiple areas.

Hopefully I can begin planning tonight and get this together as quickly as possible!!


Until next time,

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment